May - Career Panel¶
Speaker: Career Panel
Title: Careers in Bioinformatics & The Pandemic Impact
Registration for the event is closed
Please inquire at email@example.com to see if any seats have become available.
This event will be in-person only.
Thursday, May 19th, 2022 6:00pm ~ 8:30pm (Pacific Time)
Langara College – Science & Technology Building (T Building) – Lecture Theatre T001 (Level 0), 170 W 49th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Y 2Z6, Canada. Located within the traditional territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.
T001 Lecture Theatre on Level 0 – Venue Map
VanBUG is hosting a Career Panel to give current and future students an opportunity to learn and explore bioinformatics career paths from experienced representatives of the bioinformatics community. This is also a unique opportunity to hear panelists’ first hand experiences working in the field before and during the pandemic and their thoughts on the future of working in bioinformatics.
The event will include a one-hour moderated panel discussion that will be followed by networking over free food and refreshments (donations optional). Please bring your questions to the event or send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ryan Brinkman, PhD – Professor, Medical Genetics, UBC; Distinguished Scientist, BC Cancer; Founder and former CEO, Cytapex Bioinformatics Inc. (industry & academic representative)
- Yussanne Ma, PhD – Staff Bioinformatician @ Boreal Genomics (industry representative)
- David Huntsman, MD, FRCPC, FCCMG – Director of OVCARE & Distinguished Scientist, Deputy Department Head @ BC Cancer Molecular Oncology Research, UBC Professor – Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Chief Medical Officer @ Canexia Health (industry & academic representative)
- Ágnes Baross, PhD – Sector Manager, Health @ GenomeBC (industry representative)
- Piru Perampalam, PhD – Senior Bioinformatics Engineering Consultant @ ProCogia (industry representative)
Parking & Directions¶
There is parking outside and under the library campus map or in Lot #1426 along the southeast of the campus. The library parking is closest to the T building. Click here for parking rates*. Click here for transit directions.
RSVP = Répondez s’il vous plaît / Please respond
TBD = To be determined
UBC = University of British Columbia